roomin the basementbecame
railway purposes Nowbeginsthe work
When we didan extensionto our housearound 1990,a roomin the basement
was added where Ithought itwouldeventuallybe possible
a layout. Now,24 years later,
from the house and the roomhas shiftedusefrom storage totable
tennis roomand then back to storeroom.
During the years I have built about ten N scale modules, but they have been packed away in the store room between meetings and exhibitions.
It's been a bit disappointing to not be able to run them at home
Our"we-put-it-here-for-a-while"stock as it looked
the winter 2011-2012
Duringthe autumn of 2012the
the roomwas emptiedand
for thetrackplan and
started to build the framework.
the oldsectionsof theexhibitionlayoutdrawnwith "greenery". The newinterconnectingsections arestillonlyat the conceptual stageandare drawn withlight yellow
Upper and middle level
Middle and lower level
community of Engelsfors,at the very
bottom ofthe sketch,will bethe centralpointof
the layout. From
the station,two lines are departing,one toDramboWorks
of the sketch,
the other linegoes
down tothe middle level,passingSkultunastationand continues
downto the lowerlevel.
Onthe lowerlevel, it isplanned for ashadow
layout beneath DramboWorks,where trainswill
Skultuna,or be exchangedon the trackto
thefiddle yard down
underEngelsfors. Thereare also plansto connecta temporarycircularpath overa removablebridgeat the lower levels.
I goahead andstart
oldermodules will have
for full DCCoperation.
The old sectionshave wornpretty badduring transportationto
And since I have notbeen
able to havethe modulesconnectedhereat home,
I havenot had time tofind
some problems that
have haunted me bythe variousruns.
- The points on some of the sections are still manually operated.
Those sections will be completed with point motors frpm
both Peco and Conrad.
- Other sections still lacks the functions of block detetection
They have to be partly rewired and completed with
Digitrax BDL 168:s
All modulesandsectionswillbe repaintedinthe samedark
Time to start the upgrade.........
I use Conrad point motors to replace the old
manual point control mechanism.
The motors are controlled by two DS64 point control
decoders from Digitrax.
I still have some adjustments to make to get two of the
Conrads to control both the point blades and the
integrated switch for the live frog correctly.
A Digitrax BDL168 handles the block indication on both modules
A 25 pin flat cable connects to each module.
A couple of extra accessory switches are needed for the Peco
electrofrog crossing below.
accessory switch were mounted on a Peco point motor.
(I could rather have used a twin switch mounted on one single
point motor instead, but I had not any of those in the spare
long electrofrog crossing surrounded with three ordinare
turnouts aand one single slip.
A combination that is quite a challenge to wire correct.
have not started to upgrade the Skultuna section yet.
This section is my first built section and it was finished 2001 long
before I even thought of DCC operation.
For the moment I am waiting for next delivery of static decoders
Supplies in UK to be able to start the upgrade
(My order were sent last thursday, so it will problay arrive in just
a few days.